Sunday, August 25, 2013

Saturday, August 24, 2013

My family came to visit me today to celebrate my birthday, which is tomorrow. They were only able to be here for three-and-a-half hours, so we definitely made the most of it.

We ate Hawaiian haystacks for dinner, which is traditional for my birthday. My parents brought corn in the cob from their garden. So delicious!

My mom was excited to have me open gifts after that. No surprise I asked for kitchen things!

After, we played a game. I made what we call a "supreese." It's basically a giant ball of layers and layers of Saran Wrap, bubble wrap, and packing tape with candy and fun stuff inside. The game goes like this: one person is rolling two dice over and over until they get doubles--both dice are the same number. The person to their right is holding the "supreese" and tearing at it. Anything that comes loose is theirs to keep. To make it tricky, they must wear a pair of winter gloves. When the dice roller gets doubles, they pass on the dice, put on the gloves, and start tearing at the "supreese."

So why is it called a "supreese?" We'll, Loveduck and I are particularly fond of the movie "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events." The villain, Count Olaf, says "Imagine my supreese" instead of "Imagine my surprise." Then later he says, "Kiwi watermelon supreese" instead of "Kiwi watermelon surprise." The first time we made one, it was a surprise for the family. I guess it's kind of a thing we do now!

We ate dessert, took a quick family picture, and my family left for home. It was so good to have them visit me. This hasn't happened since my birthday last year.

Life is beautiful, especially when you are looking for the beautiful things that happen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment