Sunday, September 1, 2013

On Happiness

Almost a year ago, I came up with this personal philosophy: No matter how hard things get in life, no matter how sad and dark it feels, there is always a reason to be happy, even if it's something seemingly small or insignificant. I've shared this with a fair amount of people, especially the girls I'm working with at my job.

July is National Ice Cream Month (I believe there are few things so difficult that ice cream can't make a little better.)You better believe I ate plenty of ice cream in July! But when July was coming to an end, I got curious about what we "celebrate" in August. After some google searching, I discovered that August is National Happiness Happens month. That fits in so well with my personal philosophy! I thought a bit about what I could do in August to "celebrate" happiness; late one night when I couldn't sleep, it came to me.

I wanted to prove that I could find something every day that made me happy, then document it on my blog. I figured, if I was going to tell people there are things to be happy about, I should make an effort to be sure I'm looking for them.

Yesterday was the last day of National Happiness Happens month (but that doesn't mean the blog project is over.) Here's a summary of what I've learned so far:

  • Because I was watching all day, every day, for something that made me happy, I started seeing that there are so many more happy things than I realized before. I think part of that is because I was showing gratitude, I was being blessed with more.
  • Some days, the happy things that I found were small and insignificant, but finding them made it feel like the day wasn't as bad as it seemed.
  • Some days were so hard that 11:30 would come and I still hadn't found even a small, insignificant thing that made me feel happy. I realized that when that was the case, I needed to be proactive and create something happy.

Another fun fact... August is also National What Will Be Your Legacy month... I've been thinking about that off and on throughout the month. I think this will be my legacy: The battle--from beginning to end--is beautiful, especially when you are looking for the beautiful, happy things that happen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment