Saturday, April 10, 2010

On Money

Money is a very temporal thing that, I've discovered, only serves to make life miserable. When you are short on money, life is stressful because you cannot provide for the necessities of life. When you have money in abundance, life is... actually, I wouldn't know. But I doubt it's as good as it sounds.

I recently read a book by Deb Caletti entitled "The Fortunes of Indigo Skye." In the book, the main character is rather randomly given 2.5 million dollars. The story line is about how she learns to live her life for others instead of for herself. She ends up giving away a good fraction of the money.

Were I given 2.5 million dollars, I'm not entirely sure what I would do with it. I know a portion would pay for the remainder of my college career. A portion would go towards providing my parents with a new home that they desperately deserve. Another portion would pay for my siblings to attend college. After all that, I'd estimate only having spent $700,000.

In all honesty, and though it's unlikely anyway, I hope I'm never given any large amount of money. I want to be able to live my life so that I can adequately provide for my needs on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment